Sunday, February 3, 2013

Only in Comerica (#4 in a series of 30)


The visit to Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers, took place on May 18th, 2012. Cait and I were accompanied by Stephen and Allison Chaves, who live in Ann Arbor, MI.


Field: Comerica Park opened in 2000 in downtown Detroit, with a seating capacity of just over 41,000.
They really ran with the Tigers theme. By that, I mean that there were Tigers everywhere. The entrance was guarded by large cement Tiger statues that Nebuchadnezzar would be proud of. Inside the stadium, there were two amusement park rides. A classic carousel but the horses were replaced with what else, but Tigers. The other ride was mini Farris wheel. Great stuff for the kids, as long as they like large jungle cats.
Our seats offered a perfect view of the field, scoreboard and skyline backdrop. The field was actually about 20 feet below street level. This allowed a clear view of the city without taking away seats in the outfield.  True, the view is not spectacular but it embraces the city rather than hiding it.
The dimensions symmetrical and made the outfield rather spacious. Comerica is more of a “pitcher’s” ballpark versus the previous Tiger stadium which was known as a launching pad. The batter’s eye in centerfield turns into the Chevrolet Fountain following home runs and victories. Rating 14/15.



Food: I was disappointed in this category to say the least. I did my usual stadium research where I try to find the best seats, best food, best beer etc. Nothing came up like “You have to get the ____.” Or “A true Detroit specialty, ______, is served at Comerica Park.” I even had my brother (Michigan State Grad), text his friend, who lives in Detroit, on what to eat in the stadium. His response was “I get the STD Hot Dog.” My brother relays the message to me. I’m excited. I can’t wait to try a S.T.D. hot dog. Must be a underground Detroit specialty with motor oil on the top or something… I walk into the stadium and ask the ticket attendant, “Where can I get a S. T. D. hot dog?” The grey haired man is appalled at my question and replies with, “Sounds like something they would serve in Pittsburgh, we don’t have that here.”

I’m reelling after getting dissed by a retired Chevy union worker and respond with, “Ok. So, what to people eat around here?” He points me to the generic concession stand and says, “the chicken fingers and fries are pretty good.”
Wow, real original Detroit!
While walking around, I found a really long line for "Hot Fries." They were tasty, but nothing more than Season-All sprinkled on some crinkle fries. 
Food Rating: 2/10

Side Note: I later thought through the situation again and realized that “STD” was short for “Standard.” And that just made me feel like an idiot.


Fans: The atmosphere at Comerica was incredible. The Tigers were heavy favorites to win the AL Central in 2012, so there was a lot of hype surrounding the team. The game was on Friday night with a fireworks show schedule for after the game. Also, the Tigers’ ace, Justin Verlander was pitching a no-hitter into the 9th inning. The sold out crowd was getting so loud after every 100mph fastball in the 9th inning. It was an amazing pitching performance and the crowd rewarded their stud pitcher. Fan rating 5/5

Total 21/30 


Next Up: Minute Maid Park in Houston, TX!

No comments:

Post a Comment